Monday, July 2, 2007

Hellos and Good-Byes

As many of you know, my grandparents on my mom's side have lived in Brazil, as missionaries, for the past 50+ years. Needless to say, I have lacked the opportunity to really get to know them over the course of my life. I have been blessed to know about the godly legacy the Lord has planted through them, but have only a select few times had the priveledge to get to know them personally. The last six months my aunt (who is from here and lives with another aunt) has been down in Brazil caring for my grandma, while my other aunt and my mom were up here taking care of my grandpa. My mom traveled with my grandpa down to Brazil about a month ago and left him there in preperation for the big move of both my grandparents up to Bend, OR... permanately....a little bit different from Brazil. The main reason they have been moved here is that thier health (especially my grandmas) has begun to decline. Health care is much better in the States than in Brazil and with my grandma having alzheimers and my grandpa not being in the jungle going shape he used to be, it was best to bring them here. I have been able to spend some time with them the last week they have been back. I will not lie when i say it has been challenging seeing my grandma in the condition she is but when i look close into her eyes I see the grandma I knew at a time and love! It is interestng seeing she and my grandpa interact...in her eyes, he is the only thing that matters and the only one in the room...she is fixated on her husband of 55 years! Even though she is not all with it, it is a pretty beautiful thing...even when she is hitting at him and yelling at him. Here are some pictures of us hanging out at my aunts' house:









With that Hello, i had to say a Good-bye this weekend. My great friend from Moody and her husband moved to Portland after they got married last year. Her parents have a house boat out a lake near me so it worked out for me to go out for a night and spend some time with her and her family! It was so great and relaxing! We ate a bunch, visited, played spoons, and even had enough time to get out on the SeaDoo...and then break it...oops! Supposidly it was not our fault, but i am starting to wonder why I seem to be around when everything breaks:)

Aubrey and her husband Luke, had some exciting news for me when i was visiting. They found out that Aubrey is pregnant!! They are so thrilled and so am I!! It's crazy to think that they will have a little bundle of joy when i get back from Africa!

Here are some pictures of our weekend:





2 comments:

Daddio said...

love you, shayla...you'll be missed by all...especially me!

daddio

Myka said...

i will miss you! i am happy that you are taking this time with god's work in your life! love you bunches!

Locations of visitors to this page