Sunday, July 15, 2007

Habari!

It is my first officical day in Nairobi! I can hardly believe i am actually here!! Sometimes I have to pinch myself to see if it is a dream or a reality. My roomate Elpspeth (she goes by Elf) and I attended a church this morning close to the place we are staying. We are staying at an AIM Guesthouse called Mayfield until Tuesday when we move in with our family. After talking to some of the college-aged members of the church this morning we found out that we should never greet someone with the term "Jambo." This is because it is a very touristy term and nobody really uses it. They said that people can take advantage of you if they hear you greet with Jambo because they know you are a tourist. So, instead, we are supposed to say, "Habari." Habari is literally translated as, "how are you...or...what is the news." In response you say, "Mizuri." Which means, "good."By the way i have no idea if i spelled either of those words right! I loved the church we attended this morning! The people were so hospitable and I loved how solid the teaching of the Word was! The pastor preached on Ephesians chapter one and how God, who loved us first, chose us from before time began to be His children! The Lord has blessed us with every spiritual blessing and we are so spiritually rich in Him.

Well, i would love to write more but lunch time is coming up and i want to share some photos with you all! So, here are some traveling photos and ones here in Kenya.

.....umm...yeah, i just tried to load my pictures and it is taking forever! The wireless connection is not that strong here but I will try again later!

I love and miss you all! Please pray for both Elf and I. We will be starting orientation this evening and then Kiswahili lessons tomorrow. Pray that she and I will have unity and know how we can be there for one another. Niether of us have any idea what is in store but we know whom we have believed and He is able to keep that which was committed and begun by Him...for His glory!! Pray that our time with the Lord will be a priotity and that we will be able to find somewhat of a schedule in the midst of a very unscheduled season of our life!

I will be in touch!

Sorry this entry is so scattered, it is a reflection of my mind at this juncture with jet-lag and the like:)

6 comments:

Daddio said...

aloha, tourist....or is that jambo, tourista....hope you're getting some sleep. looking forward to some pics of the area and your new "roomie"....

Daylan said...

Hi. You don't know me, but my name is Daylan, and I met one of your friends, Rachel, at Fellowship Bible Church. She gave me your blog because I have been teaching in Kenya for the last year, and I am visiting my family in Bend for the summer. I live in Nairobi and teach at West Nairobi School. We have a lot of AIM kids at our school. I get back to Nairobi on Aug. 6th, and if you're not opposed to meeting strangers, it would be fun to meet you! My blog is daylanarnold.blogspot.com.

Daylan

p.s. if you make your pictures smaller, it's a lot easier to puiblish them on the blog. i know what it's like with the slow wireless connections!

Myka said...

Hey! Your blog was great! thanks for sharing! hope all is well with you! send some pixs! love what God is doing with your life! love micah!

Anonymous said...

I am so excited for you! You're not dreaming! It is finally here! I think of you all the time and pray for you each time that I think of you. I already miss you so much. It was great to talk to you briefly the other day. I love you SHayla! I can't wait to hear some updates whenever you have the time. Let me know how I can be praying for you as well. I will pray for both you and Elf.
Love ya girl!

Daylan said...

Hi Shayla!

I'm lucky I was looking through some of the "archives" on my blog because I almost missed your comment! My e-mail address is daylanarnold@gmail.com. If you give me your e-mail, I'll e-mail you my cell number sometime. I'm excited to meet you! See you sometime in August, and best wishes for your new adventure. Kenya is a special place.

Anonymous said...

Wahoo... you are finally there!!!!!
love you , Steph

Locations of visitors to this page