Thursday, July 12, 2007

Friends!

The afternoon of the day I arrived in Pearl River, a group of about 8 college-age people from all over the country came to meet up as a group to leave as a team to a city in Uganda called Arua for one month. One of the girls was staying here for orientation and actually left yesterday for her individual assignment (one month also) to a small group of islands called Comoros (spelling?).

It was an amazing answer to prayer because coming here alone i felt very....well...alone. I know that God has planned this trip before I ever knew about it and I know that He goes before me and with me wherever I go but I am also aware (and thankful) that He has created us with a need for community and relationships. I am praising God because He provided for my need in this area through the group that was here!! It is crazy how you can know people for such a short amount of time and feel like you have known them forever. Unfortuantely...for me, not them:)...., they left this evening. I have to admit, I am a bit sad and feel a bit lonely. However, God does not stop with His provisions for me in this area!! A group of about 15 people (mainly married couples and one teenager) came in today! Though i reckognize it is not the same as the group I got close with, I am thankful that I will be traveling with them to Nairobi tomorrow and will have the opportunity and priveledge to get to them and thier hearts for Africa. They have already been very welcoming to me, and for that I am so thankful...it will take a bit of time for me to get to know them too, but i know we have at least a day of constant traveling together so I know it will be great...nothing like traveling to bring people close:)

Here are some pictures of the Arua Team and I hanging out. I hung out with them as they attempted to make balloon animals to use as methods to teach the Gospel and all kinds of other things!







Carolyn (the one in Comoros) and the puppet!



Tea with the Girls!



Some of us got tired, too:)




We are so professional in the big conference room..




Some of my favorite pictures in the office:






So, tomorrow is the big day! I am so excited but admittedly anxious about the unknowns and so forth. I do know, though, that this is exactly where I am supposed to be and in that I rest. I leave at 1:30pm for the airport and following a layover in London, will be getting into Nairobi Saturday night sometime.

I love you all so much and i will stay connected as I can!

3 comments:

Daddio said...

where's those little pictures that show sadness and tears (which i'm shedding now, knowing my little girl is off for another adventure and only God knows what is in store for her)...take care of yourself and don't forget to clean your fingernails and quit bitting them!!!!

Myka said...

Dearest Daughter of God!
I miss you dearly and pray for you throughout the day! I have your magnate at work and think of you often as you learn and seek what God has in store for your life! I cannot wait to see what happens! I check your blog often in hopes there is an update! I think you will do awesome there in Africa! I hope the malaria piles are not making you too sick! I love you my friend and hope you will be safe in your travels! I have sent your parents the money I owe you for the movie and dinner. I hope to have a check in the mail soon for you mission trip! Send pixs ASAP!
Love you always and forever, Micah

Anonymous said...

Shayla, girl I miss you!!!! I admire your obedience, and meek and mild spirit for being led by the Lord. I BELIEVE WITH ALL MY HEART you are as you say WHERE THE LORD TRULY HAS YOU AT THIS SEASON IN YOUR LIFE..... I would have LoVeD with ALL my HEART for you to be here standing by my side at my wedding but honestly most importantly, I'm overwhelmed with JOY that you chose to be where the Lord has called! You are DA BOMB GIRL and always remember: If God brings you to it, He will bring you through it. Happy moments, PRAISE GOD, Difficult moments, SEEK God. Quiet moments, WORSHIP God. Painful moments, TRUST God. Every moment THANK GOD.
Jeremiah 29:11, "For I know the plans I have for you declares the Lord. Plans to prosper you and not to harm you. Plans to give you a hope and a future."

I Love you my sista,
Lele

Locations of visitors to this page