Friday, July 20, 2007

An Update

I don't have a whole lot of time to update but i wanted to fill you all in on the happenings here. Today was the conclusion of my orientation. This week was full of Kiswahili lessons, moving into my homestay, taking the matatu (the taxi-type public transportation) for the first time, learning as much as you can about cross-cultural relations, and going into Kibera (the place where I am going to spending the majority of my time) for the first time.

I have loved every moment of all these various angles of being here though they have not been easy. Kiswahili is going well. It is difficult to learn another language and maybe even more difficult since most of the people here do not speak it in public. The official language of Kenya is English so most of the people speak English. However, Elf and I really want to learn as much of Kiswahili as possible so that we can show in another way that we care to learn and that we are not expecting the Kenyans to adapt to us but we, coming into their country, need to learn to adapt as much as we can to them. It is all part of bridging gaps and building relationships. The pivotal and vital aspect to the Kenyans (and I think it should be for all of us) is the idea, and reality, of relationships. So, with this in mind, if Elf and I can find as many ways as we can to build into relationships we can gain trust within these relationships and hope to be a source of encouragement pointing to the One who is our encouragement and hope as well...Jesus!

My homestay family is amazing! They are absolutely a riot! They make me laugh constantly! They have hosted a lot of short term missionaries so they are definitely a great resource for us when we have questions about things, etc. They have three young adults (ranging from 22-27) staying with them at the moment. In Kenya, since relationships are so important, hospitality is a very big deal. My homestay BaBa (kiswahili for father)says, "there is always room for one more..." That makes me smile!

Elf and I are LEARNING to be good Kenyan housewives. We are trying to make sure we are in the kitchen when the chapatis, the ugali, and the chai are being made so when we are living on our own (in 5 weeks)we are not un-hospitable when visitors drop by (which is pretty much expected). It is crucial to have a thermos ready for chai when people come over or you will be seen as un-welcoming. We have discovered that we have an amazing capacity for chai because you are expected to drink it whenever you go to someone's house, even if you just came from someone's house and had it there. We (and by that I mean me because Elf already knew how) are also learning to hand wash all our clothes. It is very pathetic when I think that I have never really had to hand wash my clothes. You learn to do it more often though because you can only do so much at once and it takes a while to dry especially when it is as cold as it has been lately. We are also learning to bath in a bucket in cold water! We are hoping to get running water in the next couple of days since we have not had it since we have moved in. The neighborhoods go through a cycle of sorts where you have two days off of water so as to conserve it. We get the water we use to bath in out of a massive conservation bucket outside our room...we are not sure where that water comes from but know we must boil it to drink it...we assume it just miraculously appears when it gets low:)

Yesterday was our first time to Kibera. Basically, we just spent the morning there, doing some home visitations with the staff of the organization we will be working with. I am still processing through my initial thoughts and feelings of yesterday...It is one thing to do research about a place, see all the pictures and hear all the stories and then quite another thing to go there and look into to the faces of people, hear the beautiful, excited voices of the children, smell the smells that words cannot describe, and learn the names and begin to start to know the lives of the people there...It is something else. But, i will say, I am so thankful that God is a God that does not despise the broken and contrite in spirit and those that call on Him from a sincere heart. This is what I have been and am learning...Only He can give me the wisdom and strength and love and hope as I come to Him with this kind of heart and I can intern point people with the same heart to the Only true source of love and hope and peace. It is truly all about Him and for Him!!

Apparently, I had a lot more time to update than I anticipated, though I know I could write more. However, I will end here, thank you all for your comments on the Blog, it is encouraging to me in more ways than you can know! Thank you especially for your prayers...this battle we fight is not one of flesh and blood and I truly treasure those of you battling with me spiritually! Know that i think about you all often and would love to hear of prayer requests you have as well!

In Him and for Him,
Shayla

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful note. I miss you (two tears).

Anonymous said...

I'm new to posting.....the last comment was from me. :)

Daddio said...

what amazed me the most was not your committment, caring, desire to serve God and the people around, but your feeling of "pathetic" of never to have learned how to hand wash your clothes. The reason???? up until this year, i wasn't sure if you knew how to use the washing maching at home to do it.

love...daddio

Myka said...

it is so wonderful to see you grow like this! i love you blogging and cannot wait to see more! Love me!

Anonymous said...

I have to say that it always rains on laundry day when you don't have anything more than two hands and a clothes line! I will pray for good weather on those days! Shayla, I miss you but I know God has you in his hands and I can't wait for you to meet Daylan. She seems really cool. I love her parents. They have been such a blessing to our church.Her father is the pastor..... You are in our daily prayers. I love you!

Anonymous said...

Shalya, just wanted to let you know that I have created a blog as well. www.brrhodes.blogspot.com. check it out. love you

Daylan said...

Your newest update makes me even more excited to meet you and hear more about God's work through you. You have an incredible heart! Where are you living?

Daylan

Anonymous said...

Elf's dad here Shayla,

She sms-ed me your blog site and it is enlightning to see another perspective of life for you and Elf. Thinking and praying for you both (plus worrying a bit now and then but that's my job).

Don

Daddio said...

see, shayla???? all dads are alike....thanks, don for keeping my daughter and yours in your prayers...cory, shayla's mom, and i will do the same for your daughter and ours...

gary (aka daddio)

Anonymous said...

I am so excitied for you! And I hope that you create amazing relationships with everyone you meet. I'm praying for you and Elf.
Love.

ABC said...

The Lemos and Geis family is praying for you.

Anonymous said...

Shayla,
I'm so excited for you! You have to put more pictures up when you have time. I want to see Elf, your new family, and all the new friends you are making. You are in my prayers. I love you.
Catie

SLR said...

Hey Shayla Boo,
I am so excited for you and for all of the people who will have the joy of meeting you! I was in Birmingham for Mallory's wedding last weekend and so many people asked about you and are praying for you. I can't wait to hear more! We are praying for you and love you lots.
Sarah and Larry

Anonymous said...

Hey Girl!!!

I am sooo excited about this journey that the Lord is taking you down! I admire your willingness to just follow. You are a true witness to all of us and I know you are going to take that same witness to everyone you pass, meet, or just smile at daily! God has such amazing plans for you, and this is the beginning of something amazing!

You Go Girl,

Loves, Danielle

Anonymous said...

Shayla!!! It has been so fun hearing from you through your site and the e-mail... also, did you text me? You bring joy into this world and are a gift to us and all you come into contact with. I am praying for you Shayla and love you so much! Thank you for your life and love! love, Steph

Anonymous said...

Shayla,
Do you have an physical address that things could be sent to you?
have a beautiful night... Steph

Anonymous said...

Shayla girl. I could have sworn I left a message but I can't seem to find it on your blog. Like I said before, I MISS YOU SO VERY MUCH bUt I am elated to see all that the Lord has planned for you. You are such and obedient servant of the Lord girl, and I would have loved to have you by my side here in Atlanta at my wedding but I know without a doubt you are where the Lord called you to be during this season of your life. Remember: If God brings you to it, He will bring you to it. Happy moments, PRAISE God. Difficult moments, SEEK God. Quiet moments, WORSHIP God. Painful moments, TRUST God. Every moment, THANK God.

Jeremiah 29:11 "For I know the plans I have for you declares the Lord. Plans to prosper you and not to harm you. Plans to give you a hope and a future."

Love You sista!
Lele

Anonymous said...

cousin...HABARI SANA!
so glad to hear that everything's going well in nairobi! i'm SO excited for you=) i'll be praying for you; life in another culture can be so draining sometimes-the Lord is where you'll find your strength.
oh yeah how did you like mayfield? that's definitely where i stayed when i was there! i love how they ring a bell when dinner is served (and hated all the super-old national geographic mags in the living room) ha ha its a small world.
love you
ddoss

Anonymous said...

Hi, Shayla,

We( NSBC team from AIM headquarters) have just returned home from Kjabe last night. I am not ready to let go of Kenya. I thought I would check up and see how you were doing :). Please know the NSBC team has you in thier thoughts and prayers. Thanks for sharing your experiences. Having just been there, I can appreciate what you are describing. Wishing you God's peace.

Love to you,
JoJo (Mary Jo)

SLR said...

Hey Shayla,
So, I think I check your blog about two times a day hoping that you will have written a new update. I hope everything is going well and I cannot wait to hear how you are doing. You are in our prayers and we love you lots!
Sarah and Larry

Locations of visitors to this page