Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Wireless...Hallelujiah!

I made it to New York! It was quite the trip. It was my first time ever experiencing a Red Eye flight. I can usually sleep really well on planes but the combo of travel anxiety and time changes, i was only able to sleep for probably two hours the whole trip. Needless to say, I was exhausted when I arrived at 6:30 this morning. Now, don't get me wrong, I would do a Red Eye again I just don't think I am the biggest fan! After arriving at the AIM conference center, I slept for a good 3-4 hours which was so needed...and might be added to this afternoon:) I was stoked to get a meal! The simple things in life...Since they don't feed you on the plane I hadn't eaten since dinner in San Fransisco. It was nice eating a hamburger meal with some of the staff here at AIM. Many of them were or are missionaries in Africa so it was neat to chat with them a bit about thier experiences....more to come I am sure.

It was so fun, too, because when I was in the airport I ran into my COUSIN David!! David is my cousin on my dad's side and I have not seen him in over a year! It was random (or not so random...) seeing him and so much fun!!!

I was thrilled when i turned my computer on in my room this afternoon and it picked up on a wireless connection!!!! It is sad to say but as excited as I was to eat and sleep (the real necessities of life), I was almost equally excited to have wireless!! Pathetic, I know! It is so nice to be able to get online and check email and update my blog!! Again, a simple thing in life we often take for granted...until we don't have it! I will say, I am thankful for internet so that I can stay connected with y'all! I mean, just a few minutes ago, I talked to my mom via Skype (an online phone system) for FREE...it really does not get much better than that:)

While i wait for oriention to start this evening, I will enjoy every minute of this update...pictures and all! Here are some pictures of my room at the conference center:






And, to fill you in on the stages up to leaving yesterday...Packing was quite the ordeal! Thankfully, my girls came to my house to save the day! Here are some funny pictures of us packing. It was hysterical trying to weigh my bags on a standard scale!! I also found some of these bags that you can vaccuum the air out of in order to save space...they pretty much changed my life!! Here are some before and after pictures of the process...it's hard to see in the photo the difference the vaccuum made, but I will not lie to you...they are amazing and I would highly reccommend them to anyone!








Well F&F (stands for Friends and Family...i think that is what I am going to start calling y'all..), I love and miss you all so much! Thank you all for your prayers. Honestly, I feel bathed in it! Please let me know how i can pray for you all! We are all on this journey together, just at different stages in it...we all need the Lord and one another...as a Family! I'll keep you posted as I hope to hear from y'all too!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi! I am so excitied that I can comment your blog now! And it comes up in a new window too! I am so excitied for you and I can't wait to check your blog all the time and read all about the amazing things you are going to do.

I really enjoy the pictures. I hope your crocs were everything you dreamed for. And more.

Love you

Anonymous said...

Shayla,
I can't believe you are gone already. I miss you already. I'm glad to hear everything is going well. Love you.
Catie

Anonymous said...

Shayla,
It's great to hear that you got there safely. The journey has only begun, girl!!! I love you!!!
Rachel

Daddio said...

love you and miss you too much already....

daddio

Unknown said...

didnt you know your supposed to weigh bags with you on the scale...good job anyways...goooooood luuuuuuck in africa and your already there by the way... crazzzzzy right? and im at home. its less exciting. but more crazy. okay BYE

Locations of visitors to this page