Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Mitumba Pictures

I thought you guys might be interested in seeing what Mitumba looked like. Description of photos:
#1: Picture of Kibera Slum. A nearby slum that is almost identical to Mitumba, just probably three times it's size!
#2: Kids in Mitumba. The trash heap behind them gives you an idea of what the terrain is like. You will usually see chickens and other animals eating the trash and those same animals are the ones that the people eat.
#3: This gives you an idea of how small the houses are in Mitumba. Usually no less than 4 people live in each house.
#4: This picture reminded me of a story one of my friends who has been to Africa told me about. Notice the open back of the child's shirt. My friend had a picture just like this and she reminded me that it is important that when you give your clothes to Goodwill or any place like that, make sure you get is fixed BEFORE you give it away because the people who recieve these clothes usually do not have resources to get them fixed like we do and they are left with broken clothes.
$5: I found this picture on a website of Mitumba. It just broke my heart seeing it...and we complain about not having enough shoes! Something to think about...



Locations of visitors to this page